Tuesday 12 April 2016

Three Years On

Ok so I thought I'd do a post for my three year "cancerversary". Now I can't work out whether I like that term or not, but this year I have used said term to justify my purchase of a Bose Mini Soundlink speaker, so it's all good.

Firstly, apologies for my absence on the "Two Years On" blog entry, in that there isn't one. I'd like to say that I must have been out nightclubbing and forgot, but as a menopausal mum of two small children, I doubt that was the case. I was probably asleep.

So today was reassuringly normal even by average standards and certainly way more normal than this day three years ago when my world had altered beyond recognition.

I set off for work this morning and made it, oh at least 650 metres from home, when the strange unexplained noise we had been ignoring for a while on the car suddenly became a much louder and more constant strange unexplained noise. I have come in for much criticism from the husband over the years for my poor judgment as to which car noises mean carry on driving and which ones mean stop immediately. I froze up the wheel bearing on my first car and my husband had to rescue me and drive the car in reverse from near Teign School back to the garage in Teigngrace as that was the only direction it would travel in with a frozen wheel bearing. Oops.

So now I err on the side of caution when I hear a noise and today I turned back straight away. Husband had a look at the car and did not think anything was going to fall off but I rang our trusty mechanic anyway. He wanted to have a look. So the husband and I got in to a standoff as to who would be responsible for taking the car to the garage. He did it. But I have to go and retrieve it tomorrow and worst of all, no obvious fault has been found as yet so there is still plenty of scope for me to make a monumental bad decision next time it starts up with making the noise.

I took the day off from work as holiday. Again, reassuringly normal compared to three years ago when I simply went AWOL in order to attend my hospital results appointment.

I'm not sure what else there is to report and I'm quite glad that is the case. Several (ok, like, two) people have said to me that I should carry on blogging but it kind of focused around medical appointments before and they have thankfully been largely uneventful in recent months. I will spare everyone the story of how a mention of back pain at a routine Oncology appointment led to an impromptu "internal examination". Suffice it to say that I discovered that the Consultant Oncologist is not just a pretty face who sits at a desk and writes prescriptions for serious strength drugs.

On that note, all that remains is for me to say onwards and, erm, onwards I suppose! Upwards might be tempting fate.


No comments:

Post a Comment