Tuesday 24 September 2013

Common overeater's excuse debunked

One interesting thing about having this illness is that it has provided me with the opportunity to conduct an (entirely unscientific and un-controlled) experiment in to the suggestion that certain illnesses and tablets "make you put on weight".

I have always been massively unconvinced of this but unable to say anything to contradict the suggestion as I have not been in that position.

Well I am pleased to confirm that I am now in that position as I have been taking huge doses of one of the major "my tablets made me put on weight" culprits, corticosteroids.

Yes, the steroids increased my appetite. Yes, I have been eating more. Yes, I have put on some weight.

BUT it hasn't been the tablets themselves that have made me put on weight! A tablet is a tablet. It does not as far as I am aware convert itself to pounds of excess weight as soon as you swallow it. It may increase your appetite and you may eat some extra food. 

Lawyer speak now - where, ladies and gents, is the causal link? The situation is not "I take tablet, I gain weight". No. There is an intervening event here. The sequence is in fact "I take tablet, my appetite increases and THEN, I knowingly and voluntarily consume more than the recommended amount of daily calories for my size, I gain weight".

I'm not saying that eating is wrong, Christ, whatever makes one happy, life is short. But it has been nice to have my long held suspicions proved right about this common "I take tablet, I gain weight" myth.

Erm, I rest my case. Nobody ever uses that phrase in Court in real life, btw.

<climbs down from soapbox to go and fetch another biscuit>




No comments:

Post a Comment