Saturday 14 September 2013

Twilight and Transfusions

Went to my fifth chemo today. First odd thing to happen was being called in by the nurse straightaway. Usually there is at least a half an hour wait. I assumed this was while my drugs were prepared.

So upon being called straight in I assumed there must be a problem. However, we get in to the room and the nurse starts unwrapping things as usual.

I ask him if all was good to go with my bloods. "Oh yes" he says, carrying on busily unwrapping. I can still sense a massive "But...".

Sure enough he then casually says "BUT your haemoglobin is getting lower so I've booked you in for a blood transfusion on Monday". Boom, just like that!

Turns out my hb levels have now decreased from an acceptable 10 to around 8.9. That level is ok for chemo but they don't want it to decrease even more and  affect my final treatment session currently scheduled for October 4th. Fair enough I suppose. I ascertain that the blood can go in through my port - good thing. I further ascertain that the transfusion will take 4 HOURS!!!! WTF??! I am having two bags of blood. Will it even all fit? Apparently I will feel " like an 18 year old" afterwards. So we shall see.

Other than that I am staying at my lovely friend's house tonight and I have introduced her to the Twilight saga. Worried at first that it might be a massive fail but she loves it and wants to know why I didn't bring the second one to watch in the morning. Result!



No comments:

Post a Comment