Thursday 22 August 2013

Help on the [Oncology] checkouts, please!

Went to see the Oncologist last Friday. I go there every three weeks. I see a different person every time. The person I see gets younger every time. It's a bit like going to the co-op, really!

They've started to get a rather apprehensive look on their face recently too, that sort of "don't ask a complicated question" face. I have decided that this is because head honcho Oncology Consultant is off on his holidays at the moment and his staff know that if it came down to it, they don't really know what the answer to a complicated question will be. We've all got to learn somehow, though so can't hold that against them. I expect their boss deploys the line "it will be good experience for you", too.

The chap I saw was very nice. He prescribed me pre chemo steroids which are compulsory for the next drug I am starting. Then he said that along with all the other side effects I have already been at risk of, Docetaxel comes with a possibility of joint aches and pains. He asked me if I wanted him to prescribe Co-Codamol as well. 

What annoying sarcastic me felt like saying was: "No mate, don't bother prescribing me pharmacy strength Co-Codamol which will be completely free of charge, I will wait and see what happens and then if the worst occurs I will go to the chemist and use my own money to pay for lesser strength over the counter stuff."

What actual timid don't-upset-anyone-or-they-will-spit-in-your-cytotoxic-drugs me replied was "Oh, yes please, thank you!".

Finally, access to the good stuff. I am now packing 60 Co-Codamol and I'm not afraid to use them.

Went to hospital for the pre chemo blood test on Wednesday. Nurse complimented me again on my port - it's a "beauty" apparently. 

Had some time to kill before that appointment so I went up to the Breast Care Unit to chase up some other dates I'd been waiting for. Luckily the reception area was not too busy for other patients' sake as I had forgotten the effect that seeing an obvious cancer patient with a headscarf swanning in has upon the poor ladies waiting for their routine mammograms! Of course I wouldn't know as I've never been in the situation of being called in for a routine mammogram. All my BCU appointments have been accompanied by a vague sense of dread. Looks of trepidation all round in reception - oops.

So first Docetaxel tomorrow. My sister is bringing me a Maccy D's brekkie to eat when I take my mental dose of steroids beforehand.






1 comment:

  1. For the sake of clarity (remember I am a lawyer) I am not taking some form of placebo steroids which are all in my head. The steroids are real. The dosage is mental!

    ReplyDelete