Saturday 24 August 2013

Placebo

This is really weird. No nausea and no real side effects are happening yet at all.

Even checked with my friend's daughter (a nurse) earlier that I would definitely have had to sign something if I was volunteering for a possible random placebo trial. It's ok, she said I would know if I had.

I can only assume that it is the more than four times the normal dose of steroids that goes with this regime that is carrying me through so far. Anything that reduces the number of days of usual crappy first week side effects is good with me.

Had post chemo injection at hospital today. Nurse asked me again if I'd like to learn to do it myself. Said no again. 

Stayed at my friend's last night while mum had the kids. It was lovely, so relaxing. Being at home with the kids is good but it can feel a lot like an unrelenting relay race sometimes. No sooner have you come out the shower, you can hear your other half hovering anxiously at the bottom of the stairs all the while you're getting dressed just poised for you to come down and "grab the baton" and start metaphorically sprinting around the childcare arena again so that he can move on to the next thing he has in his list of tasks, and vice versa, and repeat...

I'm sure lots of people know that feeling, it's not exclusive to us. But I hope my current situation will inspire my family and me to examine how everyone's interests, plans and expectations can be balanced home here without sinking to the relay race effect. I'm no expert, this is no earth shaking revelation and I'm certainly not proficient in this technique in real life myself (YET...) but I think communication has to be the key.





No comments:

Post a Comment