Saturday 3 August 2013

Holiday Embargo

Getting kind of bored of not being able to plan anything now. I thought it was difficult before with our house extension project dominating every weekend but cancer is a completely different ball game.

I hope to finish my chemo in early October and then be over the side effects by the end of that month. Book a holiday after that, one would think. However, getting an infection between now and then could mean that the schedule slides completely so that can't be relied upon.

Once chemo is finished I will be packed off back to the Breast Care Unit to get a date for my next surgery. Following that there will be another prolonged period of no lifting. Book a holiday during my recovery period? Yes but that would hardly represent any sort of holiday for my husband then unless a nanny was also supplied for tantrum calming and general junk hauling purposes.

Once I have recovered acceptably from surgery I will boomerang back to Oncology for radiotherapy treatment. I imagine that goes on for several weeks. Every day.

Add to that the wait for my genetic testing results plus probable further surgery to remove unnecessary and redundant reproductive organs (my personal plan, hopefully to be sanctioned by the NHS but will go ahead privately if not, only question being when to fit this in...) and I don't see anything except a very short very last minute holiday being a realistic prospect until next year! 

Anyway, enough moaning about that, I am supposed to be moaning about the side effects from yesterday's chemo. Nausea, nausea and more nausea. In two minds whether to take the steroid dose with my breakfast today or not. I've been awake since 4.30am so I've had ample time to mull this over. No decision as yet.

Trundling off to the hospital at 3.00 today for my G-CSF injection. Seems to be working well each time so far, touch wood, or maybe I have just been lucky enough not to contract any infections in the first place. Asked about my blood results yesterday - all fine, just slightly "anaemic". I caught a glimpse of the figures and my hb (haemoglobin??) levels were 10 ish. That is normal for me! I think I do simply exist in a constant state of mild anaemia.

Told the nurse my hilarious anecdote of the midwives panicking about this during my first pregnancy and putting me on to iron supplements. Well that lasted five days before I abandoned it completely once my body emphatically confirmed that extra iron was not required thank you very much and started to process and excrete the excess levels out through my skin, giving me and my clothes the very unpleasant smell of a rusty iron gate. One of my dry clean only suit jackets never recovered from this.




No comments:

Post a Comment