Tuesday 23 July 2013

Our version of normality

Haven't posted about any hospital appointments for a while as I haven't had any, yippee! However, this does not mean that my life has been meaningless. Quite the contrary.

Highlights of the past few days have been as follows:

Friday - Morning hospital appointment then Dan and I took Abbie to Babbacombe. What should have happened was that Abbie would play on the Downs with a football (which, sadly, we had not brought) before having a relaxed lunch.

What actually happened was that I stupidly suggested we go down to the beach. 415 steps later we get down there and Abbie has a meltdown. It was too pebbly, apparently. So we start back up the hill. I get part way up and realise I have massively overestimated my current level of stamina. Dan carries Abbie up the rest of the hill, gets the car and picks me up.

Now, during the course of Abbie's meltdown I had threatened not to take her for lunch. Never do that. It always results in self sabotage. On the way back up the hill in the car I re-negotiate the punishment (taking away the iPad for rest of day instead) and we finally all go to Hanbury's and have scrumptious fish and chips in relative peace and harmony.

Get home and realise despite best intentions we have totally forgotten to go to The Willows - or, indeed, any appropriate shop - to buy my mum's chap a birthday present. Gah.


Saturday - I stayed at my friend's house on Friday night. Went for breakfast on Saturday morning. Went in a few shops but then I started to feel dizzy and wanted to go home. I don't like shopping. Almost in the car and home free when my mobile rings. Cue my friend and I taking a detour via B&Q to acquire essential building materials, specifically 6 bags of decorative stone. Waited around for various members of staff to assist us with getting these huge bags in to the car boot, dropped my friend home then drove the car home on two wheels and proudly presented my husband with the elusive stones.

All was not calm on the home front. The render was going off as fast as they could mix it up and Dan later confessed to having had a bit of a "Basil Fawlty" moment that morning. A shovel had been thrown across our cul de sac.

Once the building works were done for the day we had a nice chilled afternoon and Abbie featured in her first ever Chudleigh Carnival that evening, dressed as an owl.


Sunday - We all spent a lovely day at home eating loads of food and playing in our new garden.

Monday - the kids went to nursery and I spent a WHOLE DAY working! Received further work which had been sent home from the office and realised that my boss was generously letting me have a go at all the files that had to date been languishing in the cabinet drawer labelled "headaches". I think you'll find that most lawyers have one, I certainly do. Some lawyers have several such drawers, but don't realise it. Those individuals are one of the most dangerous species of lawyer.

The partner who trained me always used to preface the handing over of such a file with "It will be good experience for you". Yes. Those files.

Working at home I am a captive audience for these files and I have thrown myself in to it.


Tuesday - Today was the best day EVER. I collected my new laundry hamper from Dunelm Mill (irrationally excited about that) and had McDonalds for lunch. Need I say more...?





  

No comments:

Post a Comment