Friday 12 July 2013

Second Chemo and other stories

Second chemo today. My sister kindly came with me. I was armed with numbing cream for the port site this time. Instructions were to put it on a dressing then stick the dressing down over the port half an hour or so before attending hospital.

All very well but when I stuck the dressing down - in the toilets at Occombe Farm, if you must know - the cream spread and started seeping out the side of the dressing. I didn't want a numb armpit too! Looks like I got one anyway, but happily there must still have been enough cream left in the correct place as I didn't even feel the "sharp scratch" (yeah, and the rest...) that the nurses always warn you about when sticking the needle in. That phrase "sharp scratch" appears to be a universal hospital euphemism for "I'm sticking a needle in you. Get real, of course it's going to hurt, but we'll pretend it won't by making you think it should only feel like a scratch therefore you are overreacting".

Except when you have numbing cream - tangible version of gas and air, very useful stuff.

Had a lovely nurse doing my chemo today. She had lived in Chudleigh until she moved a couple weeks ago so we all had lots of Chudleigh chat to talk about.

Managed to drive myself home after the chemo, the post-chemo lack of spatial awareness doesn't seem to affect driving although I have bashed in to a couple of doorways navigating around my home - on foot - since.

The other thing that has happened recently is that like a cat with its whiskers cut off, now I have no hair I have started repeatedly banging my head. For the past 3 years I have managed to operate the under stairs cupboard safely without ever hitting my head yet since having my head shaved I have smacked in to the door frame almost every time I've opened it! How embarrassing.

I have been wearing my wigs sometimes but they are a bit faffy so I have more often been wearing other types of headgear instead. The main drawback with wearing those is that when people see me in them I inevitably get what my Cancer Friend has hilariously termed the "Cancer Sadface". I'm sure you know it. Don't do it.

I am less subtle than my Cancer Friend - when a non blood relative who shall remain nameless came over to my house and started giving me that look, I dubbed it the "Dead Man Walking" look. Said relative still comes over and still does it, coupling it with small talk about "how unfair" illnesses are. Don't do that, either.





4 comments:

  1. Ugh, Cancer Sadface pisses me off so much. I'm starting to prefer hospital staff to normal humans - they see so many people more sick than me, so I don't get the sympathetic eyebrows from them, it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, don't venture in to the hospital cafe - got so many Cancer Sadfaces from "normal humans" in there it was like a Zombie apocalypse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need numbing cream training I am full of tips - number 1 - wash your hands after doing it or you get numb lip too!!!
    Amy finds taking the tegaderm plaster off her numbing cream area more painful than the needle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put my hands near my mouth?? Shudder...

    ReplyDelete