Tuesday 30 July 2013

Patient FAIL

Went to see the Oncologist on Friday. Very eventful consultation...not.

The Consultant had dispatched his deputy to see me, probably because I didn't have anything momentous to report the time before and guess what? I had more of the same this time too.

Her: How was the last cycle?
Me: Um, same as the one before really.
Her: Any side effects?

There followed a brief and boring discussion about how I suspected the steroids were making me feel worse rather than better and she confirmed I didn't have to take them the third time if I didn't want to.

Her: So, do you have anything else to say?
Me: Erm, no. (Wondering whether I ought to remind her that it was her department that generated the appointment, not me...)
Her: (Clearly wishing to add some drama and excitement to an otherwise boring consultation) Well, after this third chemo you will move on to Docetaxel. That is the strongest chemotherapy drug we use here so you will need to take steroids then and the side effects could be completely different! (Beams)
Me: Erm, ok, erm, thanks. I think I'll go now then.

Went to reception to book in for three weeks later as advised. Discover they don't have any appointments.

I was subsequently sent an appointment in the post, I imagine they feel pretty confident in overbooking these appointments if lots of them are as straightforward as mine seem to have been so far. I feel like a very uninteresting patient. My surgeon found me very novel and interesting but from an Oncology point of view I am one of those patients where nobody is going to remember your name.

Next time I'm going to ask for a full run through of my blood results, just to bring something to the table.

Yesterday I had a follow up telephone consultation with a very nice Breast Care Nurse. You may well wonder what a Breast Care Nurse would want with me nowadays. Well she had lots of options to offer me. I agreed to Lymphodema workshop - don't need it now but might need it after my next surgery later this year; Moving On Group - we're leaving that one until January; Prosthesis and bra fitting - they're sending me an appointment; Reconstruction - available on demand, apparently - shelved indefinitely; and finally, Breast Cancer Yoga Group - needless to say, I signed up for that straight away as my friends will all know how much I adore joining things and meeting new people...





No comments:

Post a Comment