Friday 21 June 2013

Biopsy part 2

So I'm back from the mammogram, the radiographer has had a look and calls me back through to the ultrasound room.

He is going to do a biopsy under local anaesthetic. He injects the anaesthetic then shows me the sound of the needle click and says he will be doing that twice. I assume he is going to be taking two samples of the same lump. More on that later...

Without wishing to alarm anyone, the biopsy needle is not a needle it is more of a dart. However it does not hurt due to the local anaesthetic, so happy days.

I should add at this stage that I was by no means an expert with hospital matters. During pregnancy I was one of those people who answered no, no, no to every "have you got" checklist listing illnesses, blood pressure etc. I had stayed in hospital for a total of one night in my entire adult life and that was after having my first baby. The most invasive surgical procedure I had ever undergone was two lots of stitches again both after childbirth and absolutely off the planet on my good friend gas and air. So that biopsy was the most invasive thing I had undergone without the glorious benefit of gas and air.

Reader, I didn't like it, but I coped. I coped so much better than I thought I would. Having my friend waiting for me afterwards made it all massively easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment