Friday 28 June 2013

Hair, mainly

So one week on from first chemo and port insertion. The port site is starting to be less swollen and this is the first day that I have not been constantly able to "feel" the tube whenever I move my arm.

It's a strange feeling as I can't say it's painful but equally it's not something I would have wanted to put up with for the duration of the time that the port is in place. Fingers crossed this is the start of an improvement and that it will become less and less noticeable.

This is the first day for ages that I haven't (yet - it's only 8.30pm!) taken any tablets, not even painkillers.

I have a sore mouth, a similar sensation to having burnt your tongue, but all over my tongue. Using the mouthwash provided and hoping that this side effect plateaus rather than worsens.

Today I made an appointment with my hairdresser to see her on Monday and have my head shaved. She will also have a look at the two wigs I got yesterday and give them a bit of a cut if needed. At the wig place I also acquired what I would describe as a "Hilda Ogden style" pull on turban. This is a flannel affair not unlike those post hair washing towel turbans that exist. Methinks that item will be reserved for at home and specifically night times if I start to get cold. I can't quite see me wearing it out in public!

I did have some luck with trying out the one scarf that I possess (Primark, £4...) literally tying it around my head like a ponytail. Little bit miffed to discover that it actually looked better than my existing ponytail which still has shorter greyer bits sticking up uncontrollably like a halo from where my hair at the front fell out after pregnancy and has started to grow back. 

Anyway going back to the head shaving - at the suggestion of my friend we sent a message round inviting donations from my work colleagues as sponsorship for that event. I was in two minds about this as I thought it might represent the final step towards becoming the ultimate cancer cliche. (Blog - check, sponsored head shave - check, becoming catatonic during any conversation lasting longer than 15 minutes - oh, that's just me, then...?). 

But I will take that risk because it means that next time I go for chemo I can hopefully go along to the Ricky Grant Unit - my chosen cause - clutching a nice little donation cheque made payable to them. 















4 comments:

  1. Go for it Jen- there's no shame in a cliche if its for a good cause! Let me know how I can sponsor you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid I am a Luddite and don't know how to set up an actual donation page. I have just said to people on fb that I can private message them my address if anyone wants to send cash/cheques. All gratefully received :)
    Afraid I can't let you have my address though - we went through all that in Court when I obtained that Injunction, remember...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah shucks.... scuppered again!!

    ReplyDelete