Friday 21 June 2013

Results Appointment

On Friday 12th April my friend comes with me to get my results. She is supposed to be at work and I am supposed to be sitting behind Counsel at a County Court Trial. Due to the covert nature of our activities we haven't told anyone at work that we won't be there. Awkward...

We get to the hospital and we wait for my appointment. I have one of my now recurrent nearly panic attacks whilst sitting waiting. Par for the course.

We go in together to see my Consultant. He says that although he felt that the lump would more than likely be benign, in fact the biopsy has shown two areas of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. The ultrasound did not show armpit lymph node involvement but that is not conclusive. Given the two separate areas, and, lets face it, the relatively small area he has to work with (!!) he recommended mastectomy. I was in full agreement and asked him there and then to remove the unaffected side as well. He said he would also refer me for genetic testing given my family history but that no imminent surgery decisions turn on that as basically it takes bloody ages.

He gave me the leaflets about reconstruction and booked me in for a sentinel lymph node biopsy on 24th April to check for spread of cancerous cells. I would come in for the results of that on 2nd May.

No comments:

Post a Comment