Friday 21 June 2013

Surgery day

So on Friday 17th May I turn up at hospital with my massive wheely case - can never travel light - and my husband. My parents were also joining us later and my sister had valiantly stepped in to manage the children for the day.

We go to Nuclear Medicine which is down many many corridors in the old part of the hospital. I have the radioactive tracer dye injected which is the first step of the Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy. FYI the needle is tiny and nothing compared to the biopsy. More happy days.

I am slid in to the polo shaped Gamma scanner and it takes pictures of the nodes most likely to be affected. 

That is all finished by 10am and I then progress to Surgical Admissions. Bit like an airport, that. I am told I am on the afternoon list and I am second. In other words, you will get your operation if you have not died of starvation first, bearing in mind that I hadn't eaten since tea time the night before! Can't be avoided though and they all do their best.

I see various people. The anaesthetist - when someone asks you to show them how far you can bend your head back you know it's not gonna be pretty after the op! One of my surgeons - yes, I have two, get me! He draws on me with a marker pen to make sure they don't take off my arm instead I assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment