Friday 21 June 2013

What to do next?

I turned up for my pre assessment on 18th April the idea being that I would see the Breast Care Nurse (BCN) and be assessed in outpatients for my Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy. (Google it...).

In the meantime I had been reading the leaflet about Reconstruction options and decided I didn't want any of them. Not immediately anyway. I didn't want anything extra done that could go wrong and delay any further treatment I might need. So I tell this to the BCN who advises me that in that case there is little point in a stand alone SLNB. I may as well have it at the same time as mastectomy.

This sounds great to me as it means I will get an actual date for my main op and only have the general anaesthetic and recovery time once. Remember, I still have surgery virgin status at this stage and it is a major thing for me.

I go for my standard pre assessment anyway and the BCN passes this new development on to my Consultant who gives me an appointment to discuss the next day. In outpatients pre assessment I quickly discover that cancer patients appear be treated as hospital VIPs. I have my blood taken by the senior nurse rather than the junior one who kept running around like a headless chicken, asking for help with every blood test she tried to do on the other patients and generally putting the fear of god in to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment