Monday 24 June 2013

In which I attend my fifth hospital appointment in the past six days

Guess where I am going today?

Yes that's right, the hospital! I have been there on five out of the last six days. Sunday appears to be a day off. Unless of course I contract an infection in which case they and the IV antibiotics will be more than happy to welcome me then, too.

Today I am having my new Port checked and flushed through to make sure it has settled in ok. It's not hurting as much as it was before and the swelling seems to be going down as well. Bit apprehensive about what the "access" to the port will involve. Remember this is under the skin. Something therefore has to be punctured to get back in to it. For me, this still seems preferable to anyone taking dreaded needles to my arms. 

I have always been a massive wimp about arm injections. When I was meant to have my BCG at school aged around 14 I was thrilled that our family holiday to Florida clashed with the injection schedule. I am sure they would have arranged an alternative date for me but nobody said anything, so neither did I! 

I did not end up having my BCG until I was 21 years old. I arranged this after reading (probably in the Daily Mail or somewhere) that TB cases in the UK were on the up. I had to attend the Heart and Lung clinic at the actual hospital for it. At least being out of school I was no longer at risk of being punched on the arm after having it, given that we were led to believe at school that doing this to someone after the injection might cause their arm to fall off or something equally catastrophic.

Then there was the occasion where I saw the Practice Nurse for a routine appointment and whilst there she saw on the computer that my tetanus booster was due. She suggested doing it there and then! Erm, no love, this sort of thing requires weeks of mental preparation and anyway I'll take my chances with tetanus so don't worry about booking me in...

I had obviously improved somewhat by the time pregnancy occurred as with my second baby when the midwife mentioned that I should have the flu injection I responsibly went out to reception to make the appointment. The nice lady said they had a cancellation at 4.30 pm. THAT DAY. I had to abandon my usual policy of mental preparation (AKA delay and avoidance) and I went and had the injection. The things we do for our children!














No comments:

Post a Comment